05 December 2011

Soft Maple Candy!

Merry Christmas!Joyeux Noël!
Maple Candy is a recipe that comes from my country’s northern neighbor, Canada! It is so delicious. I <3 it crazy like wow! Of course, I hardly ever get to make it because as far south as I am it makes getting good maple syrup rather difficult. That is not to say that it is impossible, but Canadian maple syrup is expensive! OMG, really. $15 a bottle for just the small one and that would be with my discount. Ugg… Really, that’s like buying Saffron.  I will have to make some this year though. I do have lots of Canadian buddies and family. I hope you enjoy this. It is really sweet and filled maplely goodness. Also, it is really easy to make since there are only 2 ingredients, but keep in mind that you do need to know how to make candy for this. I also recommend getting a candy mold as they are much more fun when they are in a molded shape.
Ingredients
·         2 cups of pure maple syrup
·         ½ cup of chopped walnuts
Directions
·         In a large, heavy pan, bring maple syrup to a boil
·         Cook to 235°F while stirring occasionally to prevent scorching
·         Remove from heat and cool to about 175°F without stirring, this will take about 10 to 15 minutes
·         Stir mixture rapidly with a thick wooden spoon, or it might break, for about 5 minutes or until the colour lightens and the candy becomes creamy, but still thick
·         Stir in the walnuts
·         Pour into molds
·         Cool before popping out of the mold

No comments:

Post a Comment