30 September 2013

Red Velvet Funnel Cake

Hello everyone!
 
I have had several people request this recipe from my church since I gave the recipe to our pastor’s wife.  So, I will be sharing it with everyone!  What is the recipe for you may ask?  Red Velvet Funnel Cake of course!  The reason for this being brought up in the area of where I come from is because at the county fair they had a food stand that was selling them.  I first found this recipe when I was in college and had completely forgotten that I had it until I was looking for another recipe in my recipe box.  The recipe box in question was the one that I had taken to college with me and since it was on a note card rather than my recipe cards is how I knew I came to acquire it while at college.  It was mixed in with my various recipes for red velvet cake.  So, without further ado.  On with the recipe for Red Velvet Funnel Cake!

Ingredients
·2 cups All Purpose Unbleached Flour
·1 tablespoon Cocoa Powder
·½ teaspoon Baking Powder
·½ teaspoon Salt
·1 ½ cups Milk
·1 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
·2 Lightly Beaten Eggs
·1 tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
·½ teaspoon Baking Soda
·½ teaspoon Red Food Colouring
·2 quarts Vegetable Oil


Directions
·Pour the oil in a large pot and place over medium heat and heat the oil to heat up to 365F.
·While the oil is heating in a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt then set aside.
·In a small bowl, whisk together the milk, vanilla, and eggs.
·Add to the flour mixture and whisk to together.
·In a separate small bowl, combine the apple cider vinegar and baking powder
·Add to the batter and whisk until smooth.
·Mix the red food colouring in.
·Place the batter in a large pastry bag or a Ziploc bag and seal.
· Carefully snip off a small tip, or corner of the bag.
· Pipe the batter into the hot oil in a swirl pattern for each funnel cake.
· Flip the funnel cake once the batter puffs up and has hardened a bit on the bottom. 
· The funnel cake is finished when both sides are puffy and slightly hardened on the outside.

There you have it!  I hope you enjoy it.  Hopefully, I will be able to find a recipe in my huge box/book of various recipes for the drizzle that they served on the ones at the fair.  Until then enjoy it with powdered sugar.  They are amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment